This task gets students to discover the different classifications of triangles for themselves by grouping them according to various properties. What starts out as a very simple question then leads into a rich discussion that is sure to get your students thinking deeply about the mathematics involved.
- To be able to classify triangles according to their properties
- Classify triangles based on a property of your choice
- Classify triangles according to side lengths
- Classify triangles according to interior angles.
- Construct triangles according to their classification.
How many triangles?
How many Triangles can you see in each of the following shapes?
How about a Size 10? How do you know?
Fencing & Posts
To save money on fencing, a farmer decides to make triangular paddocks lined up against each other like so:
If they use 2 fence railings for each side of the paddock, how many fence railings would they need for different size paddocks?